Thursday, June 19

Seven songs for seven bloggers

The song kinda version of that meme thing from a while back plopped into my lap from the always clued in ctrl/alt/delete
This is the deal:

"List seven songs you are into right now. No matter what the genre,whether they have words, or even if they're not any good, but they must be songs you're really enjoying now, shaping your spring. Post these instructions in your blog along with your 7 songs. Then tag 7 other people to see what they're listening to."

And here's my selection, which I now realise is quite...em...mellow. The temptation to cherry-pick the 'cool' songs has been avoided.


Missing One - Bonnie Prince Billy (from Lie Down in the Light)
A gorgeous track from a gorgeous album with Oldham's voice in the best shape it's ever been. Try not to sing along when he sings 'But I wouldn't trade my life for someone's millions', I dare you. Melancholic gold.

re:Stacks - Bon Iver (from For Emma, Forever Ago)
The haunting conclusion to one of the finest albums I've ever heard. Lump-in-the-throat delicacy.

Lucky Man - Sun Kil Moon (from April)
Instantly recognisable Sun Kil Moon sound that paints the image of Mark Kozelek onstage, head back, eyes closed, demanding undivided attention. Brilliant song.

Basic Instinct - Quasimoto (from The Unseen)
Madlib's alter ego drawling out a short track that's a nod to tha ol' skool. Just a cool sound to it and the album's great for that sunshine vibe.


Paris - MSTRKRFT (from The Looks)
Banging. If you are not dancing from 2:29 into this song then you are clinically dead and should donate your organs to someone who needs them. Turn it up.

Amberscene - Halves (from Haunt Me When I'm Drowsy)
From their new mini album, this one wears its influences on its sleeve and ends up being very much their own. This lot have something very special going on.


Two-step - Low (from Secret Name)
One of my all-time favourites and one I keep going back to. They played it at their gig in the Village and didn't play it in ALT, apparently. I had to miss the latter gig unfortunately. An amazing song in its simplicity. I listen to it an awful lot.

Download my selection here if you feel like it.And now to make with the tagging:
Sinead
Benny Nayoffherrocker
Geese
Gan ventricle
Compostheap

11 comments:

Gardenhead said...

Shite Adam I doubt I can tag another 7 people. But I will put the old 7 songs up and acknowledge you tagged me man. I'm currently sitting in bed in Kells with the lamp on scribbling notes down on the structure my blogging odyssey into the world of guided by voices will take. I'm starting to worry that its gonna bring out some autistic tendencies anf take over my life for the next few months/years/decades. I'm captain Ahab and the guided by voices catalogue is my moby dick. Nice. Might plagiarise my own comment here and use that in my blog.

ctrl/alt/delete said...

nice choices and mega quick on the post i tip my cap to you sir no actually a double tip o the cap t you sir

Adam said...

Cheers, but christ it's hard to do it all with all the hyperlink faffage and the like.If any of these type of things lead to a 'post 15 of your favourite blah blahs', I'm screwed.

red said...

Nice list- I'll be downloading it when I get home this evening. Coolio.

Adam said...

Thanks but I'd say you have a few of them already anyway. Took bleedin ages to do the whole post!

Anonymous said...

W00t! Halves! Yeehah!

These songs ARE cool :p

Karl said...

I'm gonna do this because it seems cool and because I get ongoing enjoyment out of your blog/the title of your blog, but I don't think I can find 7 who haven't already been hit.

Anonymous said...

Ha. I'm listening to Sun Kil Moon right this second. Nice list.

Gardenhead said...

Hi Adam, so yah I blogged up a list but didn't do the whole tag thing. Halves are really good eh? Think I'm going to do something with them for analogue.

Adam said...

Cool. Aye, Halves are great. Really catchy songs even with the glitchiness and structure of them. Nice lads too. I interviewed them for drop-d a while back and really enjoyed it. Alot of off the record stuff that was quite entertaining.

Anonymous said...

now I know it..